Magic Sound is a great game for students to practice their recognition of pitch and melodic contours.
- Students sit in a circle. One holds a large ball or other object.
- Teacher improvises on a recorder, voice or other pitched instrument.
- When the ‘magic sound’ is heard (e.g. Do-Re-Mi, or Do-Mi-Do-Mi), the ball is passed to the next student.
- Another way to play is to have the pall passing around the circle and when the ‘magic sound’ is heard the person holding the ball stops.
- Eventually students can become leaders, instead of the teacher.
This game can also be used as a rhythm game by making the magic sound a rhythmic pattern (e.g. ta-ti-ti-ta).